Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Ganache and Cream Cheese Frosting

You guys, this is a terrible picture. But this cake... it is so not terrible. I can't handle this cake at all. I made it for my aforementioned almost-married coworker. For the amount of attendees at her party, we should have had leftover cake. That's all I need to say about it. So here's how it went down.

There is no better chocolate cake recipe than this one right here. In fact that whole recipe is amazing. The whole site is amazing. I learn a lot from Deb. But I had plans you see.

Ganache Recipe
2 cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
2 tsp Light Corn Syrup*

Heat the cream until it is about to boil. Pour cream over chocolate chips and corn syrup. Let sit for a few minutes, then stir that mother.**

*Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't eat corn syrup and on those days I don't add it. But it does seem to help ganache smooth out and be shiny.
**Sometimes I need to add more cream, sometimes I need to whip out an electric beater. Ganache is a fickle mistress. Basically my point is don't start over unless you really feel like it is fully unacceptable.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 Stick Butter, unsalted and room temperature
8 oz. Cream Cheese
5 Cups of Confectioner's Sugar

Cream the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. Add confectioner's sugar one cup at a time. Mix for 2-5 minutes. If it's grainy, mix it longer, this isn't that hard.


Now it gets good. Take that cake you made earlier and fill it with ganache. Frost it with cream cheese frosting. Go share it with other people and be awesome.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment